Or Just the thoughts in my brain However, there are rules for my blog...spelling doesn't count, neither does grammar for that matter - and if you want me to know the difference between then & than or effect & affect...you got the wrong chick!

A Quote...a funny line...just something to think about until next time

I want to be someone who doesn't waste their life wondering what other people think of me. I want to live my life wondering what I think about myself

Friday, October 12, 2007

It don't GTMO better than this...




Gosh…where did the time go, it feels just like yesterday I was 25. Well in true fashion I am sending out my yearly “What’s she do’in now” email. Many of you recall this time last year I went sky diving with the US Army Golden Knights…and lived to tell about it. So this year I wanted to do something just as exciting, but wanted to tie it into giving back …i.e mission trip, Habitat for Humanity, etc. And as fate would have it I was approached by a friend who was putting a group together to head to Guantanamo Bay Cuba and host a 7,500+ person BBQ that we would cook ourselves (no caterers folks, just us)

Here’s my story:

Saturday September 29, 2007

U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay, Cuba:

GTMO as it’s affectingly referred to serves as the cornerstone of U.S. military operations in the Caribbean providing logistics support to both U.S. Navy and Coast Guard vessels and aircraft, and to assets of the assigned Joint Task Force-Guantanamo. This base is about 400 air miles from Miami, FL. The station is on the front lines of the battle for regional security and protection from drug trafficking and terrorism, and protection for those who attempt to make their way through regional seas in un-seaworthy craft. The base protects the ability of U.S. Navy and Coast Guard ships to operate in the Caribbean operating area with supplies and support for their operational commitments. Late in 2001, U.S. Naval Station Guantanamo Bay became host to the Detainee Mission of the War on Terrorism following the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

What makes this trip so unique for us is that it is located just 90 miles off the coast of Florida, but Cuba is a communist country and does not have good political relations with the United States. Cuba has been under a U.S. trade embargo since 1963 which has contributed to economic isolation and strained relations between the two countries. Official diplomatic relations with Cuba were severed in January 1961 by President Dwight Eisenhower. Therefore to be included on this trip is literally a once in a life time opportunity. For weeks I received updates about what to pack, what not to pack, what the conditions were going to be like, what the security procedures would be and how we would be cooking in one of the most secured places on EARTH. (Earth, I thought…good lord? What am I getting myself into). There were background checks, and questionnaires, passports required and good health clearances. It was reiterated to us over and over again the security concerns and how we would not be allowed to leave the Base. Obviously, there was not going to be any cigar opportunities.

That morning everyone arrived at Doral and boarded a coach bus headed for signature Air at MIA. One last time we were given the security speech. Everyone had to surrender their cell phones to the Navy liaison and physically show him their passport – as they did not want to have to leave anyone behind in the mountains of GTMO. Once we arrived at MIA we boarded the US Navy C-9B, it was not the most glamorous travel conditions but I’ve been on worse.

The flight over was “different” nothing that I can really explain…just a bunch of small things. Our “flight attendants” wore military issues green flight suits; there was no TV in back of the seat in front of me or music to listen too, pretzels…peanuts – not here. But no one cared… we knew we were about to be in for something that was going to be completely foreign. While making the flight over the view out the window was spectacular. You saw hundreds of little islands scattered about just like you see in the maps. Bimini, Nassau, Cat Island, Run Cay, Great Exuma, Long Island…the list is endless. It was beautiful.

Once we landed my first observation was that “there were mountains???”…bare with me folks, I know I may be geographically challenged at times, but my vision of Cuba was tropical…palm trees…turquoise waters…NOT mountains. So I was in awe of the views that I didn’t think I would see…from here the story of my next 24 hours could go for days. I could have you peeing in your pants about the school bus rides around the base, the drill sergeant in charge of us (no joke, he was a real Marine drill sergeant and did not give a crap who we were or what we were there for…as far as he was concerned we were a new batch of recruits and we were treated that way), for a minute I thought I heard Jack Nicolson telling me “you want the truth? YOU CAN’T HANDLE THE TRUTH !”, the heat, the bugs, the latrines (for my civilian family & friends…that is a hole in the ground where you do your business…put it two steps below the worst port-a-potty found at a rock concert or college football game), sleeping in tents on cots, and showering in communal showers, "flipping" steaks with tearing eyes from the BBQ smoke swirling all around in 95+ degree heat, it was hysterical and I couldn’t even make some of these stories up if I tired. The things that I did and experienced…made this the worst trip ever & the best trip ever, all at the same time – but I’ll save the stories for another day.

What I want to share is the emotion of being in this place, especially with some of the other members of my group who are Cuban Americans.

When we arrived we had the opportunity to take a "tour" of the base. We drove all the way to the top of the hill where the windmills overlooked the base and the Bay. The view was spectacular in all directions. The sun was shining from the South and the whole Bay area of Guantanamo was in its glow. The military guide pointed out different geographical areas. Everywhere I looked (except when facing out to sea), the surrounding mountains of Cuba rose up on the "other side of the fence". As I stood there in silence, grasping the view, the ocean breeze blowing in from the sea, I could not help but reflect on all the oppression being imposed on human beings just a few short miles away and how fortunate I am to be an American. As I stood there on top of the hill, I was overcome by the realization that for some of the people on this trip this was their opportunity to "Come Home" and plant their feet on the soil of their homeland. A part of their lifetime dream had come true. A few of them shared with me how very emotional this opportunity had become and their hopes for a Free Cuba in the near future. The same sunlight that was shining down on me and everyone on GITMO, was also shining down on the people of Cuba. The same breeze that was blowing across my face and everyone in the Bay area was also blowing across to the "other side of the fence". And, where we are all restricted from crossing over from GITMO into Cuba, the sun and the breeze are not. Hopefully, the sun and the breeze will carry our thoughts to the people of Cuba, keep them energized, and one day soon they will be free again and the fence and mine fields that separate us will be removed.

One of my most memorable experiences among all the others was when one of the guys on the trip (Cuban born) took out an American made very high quality cigar and smoked it on the evening we got there. The smoke was a contrast of how a Cuban born, Cuban American, can stand on Cuban soil and enjoy a non-Cuban cigar freely. While those that live there that grow and harvest what was once considered the best cigars in the world can’t even afford to enjoy this simple pleasure and much less freely.



I am sure that each of us came home with our own memories and a sense of pride and accomplishment. We may not be in the military but these past few days each selflessly served our country and the men and women who serve us. So as it was not only gratifying to support our troops personally, directly, and emotionally I thank God for the opportunity to return to a “free Cuba” and to have been able to support the troops of this Free and Democratic country.

No comments: